A goal is a page on your website that you want your visitors to reach.
Examples are: sign-up, purchase, pricing, contact pages, etc.
You must define goals in the Opentracker ROI / Conversion Reporting system in order to generate reports. Reports are filtered by goal / source.
In a broad sense, the point of defining goals is in order to measure traffic conversion: what percentage of traffic from any given source converts?
The point of this measurement is to identify how traffic sources perform. You should be looking for traffic sources with high(er) conversion rates.
Setting goals will allow you to;
- See how many visitors complete each goal
- See which advertising efforts were the most effective in sending you quality traffic
- Calculate bottom-line roi in order to determine what your acquisition cost-per-lead is
There are two ways to define goals:
- By adding a goalscript to the source code of the designated goal page (recommended)
- By customizing the url of the page